Saturday, April 06, 2013

Campaign Series: 1st Week of Cong. Cesar V. Sarmiento's Campaign

We're done with the first week of Cong. Cesar Sarmiento's campaign. This is my first-ever real experience of an election in Catanduanes -- hearing jingles and seeing candidates visit every house in a barangay. It's even made special like an extra scoop of ice cream on top of my halo-halo because I'm part of the campaign team and I could see both faces of an election. This experience gives me a broader view of what election is -- the anticipation and reaction of every person you meet and the hard works of every man in the team.

Now, I deeply understand how things work and the dedication these candidates give during this time. With all the hardship a candidate may encounter along the way and after he/she wins, I must say that it takes so much passion and love for one to decide to enter politics or public service.

People outside the walls of a politician or an aspiring politician's world don't realize this until they become part of this world... just like what happened to me. Before I knew Cong. Cesar and became part of his team, I view election as a nonsense parade of faces, hands and promises soon to be broken. They just come and go... they never seemed striking at all.

After joining and walking with Cong. Cesar Vergara Sarmiento in the barangay sorties or the house-to-house campaign, a lot of these views changed. This made me even more convinced that he is truly different from other politicians who only think of quotas per visit. He would give time to chat with every person in the house -- old or young, healthy or sick and neat or not... everyone was treated equally as if they've known each other for so long. Then I realized that with this style, he connects to the people so the people remember not just his name but also his character. This is also a way for him to thank the people and for people who appreciate his work thank him, too.

Today, campaign period for me is not just a mere nonsense parade, it's already a  time to create a relationship with people whom you're going to serve; to understand what they need so in time when you set foot in your chosen position, you know where to start and what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment